OPHTHALMOLOGY DEPARTMENT PROFILE
Ophthalmology Clinic Hospital Sultan Ismail (HSI) is one of the Specialty Clinic located at Level 2 HSI.
Currently, this clinic is made up of:
- 1 registration counter
- 7 consultation rooms
- 1 visual acuity assessment room
- 2 optometry rooms
- 1 biometry and ultrasound room
- 1 perimetry assessment room
- 1 laser treatment room
- 1 treatment room
- 1 mummies and babies corner
The clinic began its operation since 16 February 2006 at the Specialist Clinic in Level 3. It was shifted to Level 2 on 27 September 2007. Since then, the number of outpatient visits has been increasing each year. A total of 15107 outpatient visits were recorded in year 2015. The total number of surgeries performed in that year was 925, out of which 823 were cataract surgeries. Ophthalmology ward for in-patient located at level 8 (8B).
To be a center of excellence in providing ophthalmology service that is patient-centred.
We are determined to work as a team to:
- Become an excellent reference centre of ophthalmology
• Provide a professional service with the use of appropriate technology
• Provide quality eye care to patients
- Provide opportunity for continuous learning and career advancement
The objectives of the Department are:
- To prevent blindness with early detection and treatment of eye diseases
- To provide consultation to district hospitals in the state
- To participate in training of Masters trainees (ophthalmology, family medicine and others), paramedics and other allied health professionals
- To increase the level of Economic and National Productivity.
Standard / Client Charter
- a) Each customer will be given a quality service according to their needs regardless of religion, ethnicity and sosio-economic status.
b) All patients will be registered within 20 minutes. The waiting time to see the doctor for treatment is about 2 hours.
c) Priority will be given to emergency cases which will be treated as soon as possible.
d) Every patient is entitled to a clear explanation of procedures and treatments that are suggested, including the risks and other options.
- e) Patients who require further treatment that are not available in this hospital will be referred to appropriate centres.
- f) Appointments will be given according to the needs and availability.
- g) All patients will be guaranteed that their dignity will be maintained during treatment.
- h) All the patient information is private & confidential in accordance with Personal Data Protection Act.
Services / Service Hours
- Ophthalmology services for the public:
- Diabetic Eye Diseases
- Age-Related Macula Degeneration
- Dry Eye Diseases
- Cornea Diseases
- Paediatrics Eye Diseases
- Retinopathy Of Prematurity Eye-Screening for premature babies
- Laser Treatment for Glaucoma, Diabetic and Retinal Hole
- Conjunctivitis, Uveitis and Others
- Optometry services:
- Visual acuity testing and Refraction
- Visual Field assesment
- Biometry and Pachymetry
- Contact Lens clinic
- Low Vision clinic
- Orthoptic and Binocular vision clinic
- Ophthalmic surgical services:
- Elective and Daycare Surgeries
- Emergency Surgeries
- Minor Surgeries
- Clinic Treatment Schedule:
|Sunday & Tuesday||Elective Surgeries
Clinic (Emergency Case)
|8am – 5pm|
|Monday,Wednesday & Thursday||Clinic (Appointment)
Clinic (Emergency Case)
|8am – 5pm
# Thursday (8am-3.30pm)
- Emergency Case: 24hours on-call services
- In-patient: 24hours
- Continuous Medical Education For The Staff
- Every Wednesday at 3pm (once a week)
- Facilities In The Clinic (Level 2) :
- Spacious waiting area
- Public phones
- Reading corner
- Prayer rooms
- Public toilets
- To become an International Ophthalmology Centre
- Towards 100% daycare Cataract Surgery